Research problems pursued are fundamental and generic - and not specific to a particular material. Emphasis is on the following:
- Mathematical model development for web handling "primitives" based on first principles
- Experimental parameter identification and model validation
- Computer modeling and simulation
Fundamental and generic research studies are conducted in the following areas:
- Mechanics of winding and unwinding
- Longitudinal dynamics and tension control
- Lateral dynamics and control; guiding and tracking
- Out-of-plane dynamics
- Air films between webs and rollers
- Aerodynamic effects in transport
- Measurement of tension, wound roll properties, and physical properties
- Precision Lateral and Longitudinal Registration for Roll-to-Roll Manufacturing
Materials considered in these research studies include plastic films, papers of all types, thin metals, and composites.
Specialized WHRC facilities include the winding/wrinkling laboratory, the web transport laboratory, the high-speed low-tension web line laboratory, the precision registration web line laboratory,and the high speed web line laboratory.